Friday, January 9, 2015

Style Tips | January

January in Ohio is one of the worst things to deal with, not to mention it's a killer for any kind of fashionable ensemble. Between subzero temps and trekking through the snow to class, I live by the motto "Sorry for what I wore when I was cold". Most days, looking cute takes a backseat to the practicality of staying warm and avoiding the frostbite. I decided to take a deeper look into these cold weather essentials for my style tips this month because in times like this, it's what's on the outside that counts.








One of my guy friends once asked me, "You know those thigh long, black puffy jackets that every girl on campus wears? Why do so many people have them?". I don't expect men to understand the blessing that is the puffer coat. Arguably one of the warmest coats a college student up north here, or anywhere snow falls, can wear during the winter. It fits well over layers that you may have on underneath and the different lengths can keep almost every part of your body covered and warm against the cold. Although they are not (always) the most stylish of jackets, this is an exception to fashion over function.




Ever wanted to leave you house with your blanket still wrapped around you? Well now you can thanks to these oversized scarves. Since there is so much extra fabric, there is even more to keep your neck and face warm and when you get to your class or work, you can use it as a shawl or blanket. Two for the price of one. I recently purchased one from Zara while I was in New York and have not been wearing anything else.




Having a study pair of boots is the key to staying upright while the ground is frozen solid. I always try to find some with some traction and style. Here is where you can be more stylish with your winter essentials. For me and my roommates, Dr. Martens (for the warmer, slushy days), The North Face, Timberland, and Sorel boots dominate the footwear game for the winter. All of these brands offer sturdy and warm boots to keep your feet warm and moving. I actually own The North Face boots I have pictured above in black and I can not imagine winter without them.

AND….

Goes without saying but this is the time when layering is a fashionistas best friend. A turtleneck under anything will add warmth and even throwing on another pair of socks can sometimes be the answer. No one will know if you put leggings on under your jeans, I do it all the time.


What are your keys to getting through the harsh winters? Let me know in the comments below.





No comments:

Post a Comment