Thursday, November 20, 2014

Tips to Healthy Winter Skin

While there are so many things to love about this time of year, the way your skin feels is not. Freezing temperatures and dry winter air can take a serious toll on your skin, no matter your skin type. I have very sensitive skin, so this time of year hits me harder than others and staying on top of it is a full time job. Read on for my winter skin care tips so you can keep your skin looking fresh and dewy all season.








Washing your face




I use a very mild face wash now called Cera Ve, which can be found at any drugstore, since my acne from the teen years has subsided. I used to use a prescription face wash that was very drying and harsh on my skin. When washing your face, my recommendation is that you use the actual wash at night and only wash your face off with warm water in the morning. Your face produces a lot of natural oils during while you sleep and using a face wash every morning can really contribute to the dryness you may be experiencing. I have been doing this for about a year now and I have noticed such a difference.

Moisturizer





Investing in a really good moisturizer is the key to keeping your skin healthy and hydrated but this is no easy task. You don't want one that is too heavy but you want one that can stand up to the harsh winds. After trying many different brands and types of moisturizers, I finally found the holy grail with the Korres Greek Yogurt Moisturizer. It does wonders for my skin and balances out the dry and oily sections perfectly. There will always be those days when your regular moisturizer won't cut it and thats where Nutrix from Lancome steps into play. This is an extra rich cream that helps soothe and smooth your skin and helps in some of the most drying conditions. My skin gets flaky around my mouth quite often in the winter and using a small amount of this cream fixes it over night. These products are a bit more on the expensive side but I think it is totally worth the money when it comes to taking car of your skin.

Vaseline

It may not be the most glamourous thing but when I go to class, I slather Vaseline all over any exposed parts of my face. It doesn't look great but it makes a perfect barrier between the cold wind and my skin while I walk.


Drink lots of water

Keeping your skin hydrated comes with keeping yourself hydrated! I think it's pretty self explanatory.

Invest in a humidifier

This is something that I can't live without in the winter especially being in my apartment where there isn't a lot of . Dry air is a big factor of dry, flaky skin. Using a humidifier in your bedroom at night will put some moisture back into the air, and in turn, back to your skin.

Get LOTS of sleep

Like many other things, the amount of sleep you get can effect your skin. Not getting enough can make it more inflamed, more prone to breakouts, and more sensitive to the changing weather around you.

Last but not least….Diet

The foods that you eat have a lot of say in the look of your skin. I am not a huge believer in extreme diets but I do believe that you should eat healthy! I eat a lot of fruits and veggies during the day but I also treat myself! I stay away though from greasy and fast foods because those can have quite the negative effect on your skin.








2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I just saw this comment! You are very welcome! I can't get through winter without all of these steps.

      Delete